Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Commitment Before God


-----
I am sorry that I haven't posted a message in a long time. Thank you to those who haven't given up on me :). The truth of the matter is, I wasn't listening to God. I have been too wrapped up in my issues, I couldn't hear Him. That isn't good for a man of God. I always keep on a brave face, but I have times of vulnerability just like everyone else.
-----

I was watching a TV show, I forget which one, and a couple forgot their love for each other because of neglect, and were considering divorce.
Why do so many people just give up, instead of finding the problem and putting in the time to fix it? If a couple goes through dating, an engagement, and then a wedding, they once loved each other a great deal. Isn't it possible to find that love again?
I know, I haven't been married or divorced. But I do know a great deal about not appreciating the things we have until they are gone.

In my opinion, any marriage can be fixed, providing the couple truly wants to stay married. With children in the mix, things can get confusing, but it's also an extra incentive to get a marriage back on track. In cases of adultery, even that trust can be mended again.

Someone once told me that it's best if Christians date people they can see a future with, not just a person to hook up with for awhile and have fun. I attended a public high school, I know some of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes. Secrets don't stay secret for long. "Hooking up" or "Going out" just for the sake of it usually doesn't end well.

What I am getting at is following God and trusting Jesus is far more than a ticket to Heaven. Christianity is more like a lifestyle. Our mandate is to witness to our non-believing brothers and sisters. To help others along to Christ. How can we do that while our own lives are in shambles?

We all need to look in the mirror from time to time and ask ourselves, "Are we following God? Are our lives everything God would want them to be?" Obviously no one can be perfect, but what matters is that we strive to be. Marriage has become trivial. It's not taken as seriously as it should be. It is not "just a piece of paper." It's a commitment before God.

Divorce breaks that commitment. It's sad to see the divorce rate in America. It's even sadder when you know the children always have to deal with the ramifications. Hostile custody cases,  shared custody, the emotional torture to see their parents one step away from killing each other. God is heartbroken, seeing His children fight day and night.

Marriage is a big thing, there is nothing trivial about it. But I still believe any marriage can be fixed, depending on how much the two parties want it. It's very easy to find marriage councilors. Most Pastors and Priests can also help. But the first step is to want to be with your spouse. Communication. Romance.

Take my word for it, being alone without anyone is not fun at all. When marriage becomes trivial, so does divorce. You can only have so many do overs until you run out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog Stephen! I appreciate your thoughtfulness and challenge. --Chaplain Tony

Anonymous said...

You are right- Christianity is a way of life. Keep writing and I promise to show up and feed your fish!
-Bob