Monday, November 7, 2011

Battle of Life vs Death

I haven't told many people this because I don't like talking about it. It was seven years ago, just before my tracheotomy operation, when I was really sick. I didn't have any energy, Everything made me short of breath. Eating, drinking and sleeping. It was terrible and thoughts of suicide did come up. I just wanted everything to end. I wasn't strong with God and I didn't know Jesus. I sure didn't know suicide was a sin. I do not believe I would have been able to do it, but it scares me that I even thought about it. Little did I know what my life would turn out to be. A great life with an inner peace only the Lord can provide.

God created our bodies with a purpose in mind for each and everyone of us. Doing harm to our bodies is a grave insult to Him. God sees all, knows all. Trusting Him to lead us and trusting His son to give us the comfort to get us through is faith. We must hold on to that faith during the bad times and trust we will be led to even greater times. Only God knows how we fit into His grand plan. We do not. When someone decides to destroy their body because they can't see any way out of their situation, they are telling God, "I don't trust you and I don't believe you can help me."

The thing about suicide, they can not ask for forgiveness because they are no longer alive. I see suicide all the time in our culture. So many don't even bat an eye when hearing a report of someone committing suicide. Euthanasia being promoted as a means of "dying with dignity". Hollywood glamorizing suicide, portraying them as finally being at peace and suffering no more. Our culture's view on suicide could not be more wrong. This is very harsh to think about, but they are not at peace and their suffering will become much worse.

God does not wish any to perish, and nor do I. Hell is an awful place, and it physically and emotionally hurts me every time someone has to go to that horrible place. I wish I could lead them all to Jesus and away from Satan's deceit, and I am sure many besides me have that same desire. Unfortunately, it just isn't very realistic.

That is why we have a job to do. To continue spreading the message of Jesus Christ. When you see someone down or overwhelmed, give them a warm smile and offer a helping hand. If you see someone going through a devastating time, no matter the cause, sit down and be there for them. With people in a vulnerable state who can't see a way out, the best thing we can do is make them feel loved. That God, that society, has not given up on them. Pray that they will find a reason to live through our efforts.

2 comments:

Russ said...

Stephen, a great message. Thanks for the courage to be open and honest about your own battle with this issue. Keep up the good work. The Lord is definitely not done with you yet.

Anonymous said...

Stevo, Glad to see you so open and honest about your own experiences and battles. While I agree that suicide can be a statement of distrust and can be sin, I do not believe that it is an automatic sentence to an eternal hell. We are not saved by any act that we do or do not do, salvation is an unmerited gift from God hence the term "grace". I believe scripture supports that God knows us better than we know ourselves and is more gracious and understanding than we often realize. You have lived in a situation where many who are emotionally less capable would have thrown in the towel no doubt. You have practiced keeping your mind "stayed on Him" which has brought you peace. There are those who may not have the same capacity for trust and during a time of weakness took their own life. Could that be a sin? Certainly, only God knows there circumstance and will do what is right out of His love for them. Could it be more of an injunction of those of us who should have reached out and demonstrated to them the hope we have in Christ? Christ dealt with the sin issue on the cross once and for all and impuned righteousness on us by His grace and if we are honest, we have all had times of doubt. The good news is "God helps those who can't help themselves"!
Keep up the good work my friend.
- Chaplain Bob