Wednesday, March 23, 2011

God is Still God and God is Still Good

I just recently saw this video about a man that was diagnosed with Cancer, Zac Smith (Google "Zac Smith Cancer") left behind a video when doctors could no longer do anything for him. "Cancer is the best thing that has ever happened to me." Not something you hear very often, is it?" Despite it all, he never lost his faith. "God is still God, and God is still good."

My story is quite different from his, but I too can say that my Muscular Dystrophy is the best thing that has ever happened to me. It took me a very long time to believe and accept this, but my entire life has been a journey to come to this conclusion through my faith in God. When I was real young, I didn't want to die. It scared me terribly, as I'm sure it would to any 7 year old. I didn't understand for years. "What did I do?" "Why am I the one who has to go through this?" Meeting Jesus changed my outlook completely, making me realize my life, however short, is a very good one. I feel blessed and I thank God every single day.

But, a nagging feeling still remained. "Why?" "I could do so much more for God if only I was cured!" I was in love with a girl, but I knew she would never be my wife. I would never be a husband. I would never have a family. I could no longer speak, or have the strength to hug my family and friends. These thoughts plagued me. I wanted to experience these things so badly. Sure, Some moments I still do, but then I realize God decided to give me a better life. A life where I am never alone, a life where He is there every time I call out for Him, a life where He comforts me whenever I feel discouraged.

Would I still see the glory of God without my Muscular Dystrophy? Would I still have my unwavering, unbreakable faith in Him? Though I can't be certain, I don't believe so. God allows for things to happen in our lives, people we meet, experiences we go through, to test our faith. If you didn't go through the many tests and trials throughout your life, would you be the same person you are today? When I go through something tough in my life, and i turn to God, there is nothing I can not overcome. Satan can throw whatever he wants, because God is with me. It's like climbing a mountain, once I climb over my troubles, I can see God's beauty for miles upon miles. Because God is always with me. Everything that has happened in my life has shaped me into the man I am today. I love Jesus with all my heart, soul, and mind. I know true peace through him that I can not find anywhere else. Jesus suffered and died on the cross so that I could live. What other life could I possibly want? Yes, Muscular Dystrophy is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stevo- Your writing is much improved and I appreciate the hard work you put into your blogs as well as the thought that goes into them. Keep beeing led by the Spirit my man - Chaplain Bob

Elizabeth Lowe said...

My friend Kim, who goes to your church, told me about your blog. I am so touched by your writing--thank you. The way you choose to let God shine through your life is such an inspiration.

Brad said...

Stephen great post here! I have becker's muscular dystrophy and would love to use this post on my blog. I want to do a piece on Faith and Trusting in God while living with Muscular dystrophy. Your post would be perfect plus please come on over to: www.my-beckers-story.blogspot.com and check out my blog abut living with Becker's MD. There you will find in the top right corner a "contact me" tab please send me a quick e-mail if it would be ok to use your post. I will include a link to your blog I wish you all the best and hope to hear from you soon!

Brad from the "My Becker's Story" blog!

Ashley Heise said...

Thank you for being such an inspiration. God's plan for you will impact many others. Thank you for reminding me, that even when all seems dark, there is ALWAYS light that can outweigh it.. and that light is the good Lord God. Ya know- DMD was the cause of my Mother's brother, I could be a carrier. I was so skeptical to have our first baby (a girl), because it's always in the back of my mind that I could be the cause of our baby having DMD. You helped me see in a new light. I need not be scared, because look at you. You are doing God's work, and are not letting the illness hold you back in doing so. If we have a son, and he has DMD, I hope he is as faithful and passionate about our God as you are. Please continue to post- it is so great to read your thoughts and feelings. Sending prayers your way, that you may continue to live through Him and that your heart may stay full of His love. Thank you again, God Bless-
Ashley Heise